Wednesday, January 29, 2014

U.S. Congressman apologies to reporter after threatening to break him 'in half'

The New York congressman who was filmed threatening a television reporter following Barack Obama's State of the Union address has apologised amid a furore over the incident comments that risks ending his political career. Staten Island representative Michael Grimm, a former FBI agent and marine, told NY1 reporter Michael Scotto that he would throw him off a balcony and break him in half after objecting to a question about an investigation into his 2010 campaign finances. The 43-year-old Republican's outburst was caught on camera and broadcast by NY1 on Tuesday night. "Congressman Michael Grimm does not want to talk about some of the allegations concerning his campaign finances," Scotto says to camera as Grimm leaves. The politician then returns. Much of the ensuing exchange is inaudible in the recording, but according to a transcript from NY1, Grimm said: "Let me be clear to you, you ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this fucking balcony." Scotto replies: "Why? I just wanted to ask you," before Grimm says, "No, no, you're not man enough, you're not man enough. I'll break you in half. Like a boy." Grimm's friend and fundraiser Diana Durand was arrested earlier this month for funnelling more than $10,000 to his campaign. Grimm is also facing an ongoing federal investigation into allegations that he or his campaign solicited cash from foreign donors. On Wednesday, as the national media repeatedly played the footage of the incident, Scotto announced on air that Grimm had called him to apologise. The reporter said he thought the apology sounded sincere, and that he had accepted it and would "move on". That apparently contrite tone was in stark contrast to the defiant statement Grimm issued after the story broke on Tuesday night. "I was extremely annoyed because I was doing NY1 a favour by rushing to do their interview first in lieu of several other requests," the statement said. "The reporter knew that I was in a hurry and was only there to comment on the State of the Union, but insisted on taking a disrespectful and cheap shot at the end of the interview because I did not have time to speak off topic. "I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect, especially when I go out of my way to do that reporter a favour. I doubt that I am the first member of Congress to tell off a reporter and I am sure I won't be the last."

No comments: