Thursday, November 1, 2018

I can’t believe what I am hearing: Asia Bibi’s reaction to SC verdict

After knowing about the landmark verdict of the Supreme Court of Pakistan, 53-year-old Asia Noreen Bibi was struck by disbelief. Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar headed a three-member bench that quashed her death sentence and ordered her release.
Pakistani Christian woman convicted of blasphemy
“I can’t believe what I am hearing, will I go out now? Will they let me out, really?” Asia Bibi responded with disbelief while talking to APF. “I just don’t know what to say, I am very happy, I can’t believe it.”
Asia Bibi was accused of committing blasphemy by her co-workers back in 2009. Later on, in 2010, a court in district Nankana awarded her capital punishment, which was later challenged and upheld by a two-member bench of Lahore High Court in 2014. Her appeal case is currently pending with the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
Supposedly her final appeal hearing on October 13 was meant to wind up the most high profile case of the country, however, it was delayed as one of the judges refused to be a part of the three member bench that was to hear the case.
“….this appeal is allowed. The judgments of the High Court as well as the Trial Court are reversed. Consequently, the conviction as also the sentence of death awarded to the appellant is set aside and she is acquitted of the charge. She be released from jail forthwith, if not required in any other criminal case,” historic verdict said.

No comments: